Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thing 17: LibWorm

My first entry was academic libraries. I got way too many hits - 77,364. Later i found out that there was a category for academic libraries, so I would have been better off picking a narrower topic. Then I 'played around' with the gaming in library and videogame keywords and phrases. This proved more useful and I found an interesting article on Gaming and Libraries from ALA TechSource. I was surprised to see so many articles in Dutch.

I'm currently reading the book"Brooklyn" by Colm Toibin. I decided to search Booker Prize and found mentions of the book and the author. I also cross checked under Readers Advisory and the author's name and came up with some of the same articles under all threee headings.

I found the quality of results were mixed. Perhaps I used too broad of a category, but I received results that varied from job listings to academic papers to blogs to foreign language posts. I'd like to be able to narrow down the results more (perhaps exclude those foreign language posts.) Still, I find LibWorm useful because it shows me a broad snapshot of what is out there at any given time.

No comments:

Post a Comment