Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thing 22: Developing your own 23 Things

Since I am currently unemployed and have not worked in a library, I will answer this “thing” by referring to the library I volunteered at this past semester. I am not really sure about the technology skill level among the staff, but these are my suggestions. I would suggest that all staff use delicious to tag articles that they feel are relevant to their areas and share these tags and articles with the other staff. This program has been great to teach me about what our patrons are using. If we don’t become comfortable with at least some of these new technologies though, we will not have realized the full potential of this class. I would suggest that the library use an in service time to collaboratively set up a facebook page for the library and learn to use flickr. That way, several librarians could have input on the page and include pictures of their events. If they get started on it, it will be easier to use it on an ongoing basis.
Also, I would have the staff get Google doc accounts and use them to share documents relating to their policy manual. It is in need of some updates. Google docs would allow them to review and edit changes easily.
Finally, I would use some of the links on the podcast page to teach the children's librarians how to record and upload their storytimes to a podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment